Puerto Penasco (Rocky Point Mexico) is located seaside just 66 miles south of the US border. Driving from Phoenix and Tucson the 212 mile drive takes approximately 4 hours. Puerto Penasco (Rocky Point Mexico) is surrounded by the Sonora Desert on one side and, the Sea of Cortez on the other. Unique ocean conditions in this town create extreme tides of up to 23 ft. between high and low, and this also produces a unique marine life. Swimming in the area is very safe and emulates lake conditions with no rip tides and a very calm water unless it is windy. You can watch the sunrise and the sunset on the same ocean horizon. Puerto Penasco (Rocky Point Mexico) is sunny almost year-round with practically no rainfall.
History of Puerto Penasco
Probably you all know that Rocky Point started as a fishing village in the 1930’s. Gradually the city developed into one of the largest shrimp producing areas in the Sea of Cortez. During the Prohibition era in the US, an enterprising businessman, Johnny Stone, visited Puerto Peñasco (Rocky Point Mexico). Realizing the potential of this village Johnny Stone wanted to attract wealthy Americans to vacation. Stone built the town’s first hotel, drilled a well, and opened for business for vacations and fishing. Al Capone, who was among his clientele, brought friends along to enjoy the climate, drink, gamble, and deep-sea fishing. During World War II the United States helped build a better road from Arizona as Puerto Penasco (Rocky Point Mexico) has a deep enough port for it’s military ships.
Now in Puerto Penasco
Finally now Americans have discovered Puerto Penasco (Rocky Point Mexico) is an alternative for retirement and vacation. 20 to 30 years ago this sleepy little city offered a rustic and exotic getaway vacation. Now there are a large number of first class hotels, resorts, condos and restaurants to give the traveler a luxurious travel experience while saving money compared to other beach destinations! (we’re talking to you overcrowded overpriced California!) Even more Cruise Ships are now starting their itinerary from this now vacation and retirement city. Puerto Penasco Mexico is a close driving distance and easy port for all cruise enthusiasts.
Things to Do
There are many places to visit while in Puerto Penasco (Rocky Point Mexico), such as the Pinacate Mountains, which geographic condition was ideal for NASA’s training for the Lunar mission due to its similarity to the moon’s surface. San Jorge island and its sea wolves are a fun Boating excursion to take. Rentals abound everywhere for ATV’s to enjoy the sand dunes of the Altar Desert. Puerto Penasco (Rocky Point Mexico), offers many sporting events including sailing, fishing, snorkeling, scuba diving, windsurfing and automobile and motorcycle racing just to name a few. There are as well rentals on most sporting equipment. There is a educational/musem as well called Intercultural Center for the Study of Deserts and Oceans, CEDO, (a 55-foot long whale skeleton is near the entrance of the facility).
Puerto Penasco Mexico offers everything from relaxing with a cold margarita on a magnificent sunset cruise, to shopping in the Old Port at the Malecon, or at the local stands heading along the patch to Cholla Bay. Of course there is always a fresh catch of the day is offered in many of the local restaurants.
These Safety tips in Puerto Penasco are meant to be a guide. Using common sense when traveling in the U.S. or in Mexico is really what the “take away” here is.
Leave your guns, ammo and illicit drugs at home. (They are Illegal in Mexico and taken VERY SERIOUSLY!)
- Medicine is given over the counter. If you are going to bring some back you’ll legally need to have your prescriptions (that includes penicillin) It’s probably a good idea to find out (from your doctor) if you are allergic to penicillin first if you plan on using it.
- Don’t brush your teeth with the water if you don’t have a water filter in your accommodations.
- Don’t use your middle finger as a hand gesture to anyone in a uniform (or to anyone really, it’s just not necessary.)
- Drive slow at night. Plan your trip so that you don’t need to be on the Highways at night.
- Don’t drink and Drive.
- Be kind in Mexico (poor attitudes get bad results in Mexico, unlike the U.S.).
- Use common sense.
- Lock your doors and watch your money as if you were in the U.S.
- If you drink be with friends. (same goes anywhere)
- If you are not used to the Taco Stands then consider staying away from them. (There are some really good ones though: Lucas for chicken and Las Brisas for Beef)
- Water served in the restaurants is filtered or bottled and most of the time ok. Put a squeeze of lime in the glass to take care of the unexpected. (do that at the greasy spoons in the U.S. too btw.)
- The native language in Rocky Point Mexico is Spanish not English.
- Your Auto Insurance is not valid in Mexico. You will need a special “Mexican Insurance” policy to be covered.
Returning from Puerto Penasco
The U.S. Customs & Immigration stops every vehicle to ask questions about citizenship and contents of car.
If you have any questions about what you are bringing back just ask the border police before you cross. https://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizens
Thank you for visiting our site! We really, hope that you have a great time in Puerto Penasco (Rocky Point) and hope that this site was a help in your exploration of Puerto Penasco Mexico!
Let’s go over some of the basic issues that may be important information “tid bits” that you need when traveling to Mexico, Rocky Point, and traveling in general.